The lack of good books written for mixed kids is the subject of Jenâ€™s rant. She critiques two books that have come out in the last 10 years: Black, White, Just Right and The Colors of Us.
MIXED MEDIA WATCH NEWS UPDATE:
Carmen shares the latest and greatest from Mixed Media Watch:
1) We critique Datelineâ€™s handling of a story about a hospital mix-up that resulted in a woman being inseminated with the sperm of two different men: one black, one white.
2) Dr. Phil has a sit-down with a guest whoâ€™s a self-professed racist, and has stopped speaking to his daughter because she is carrying a black manâ€™s child. Mind you, this is the same Dr. Phil who a few years back, told a mixed girl on his show that she had to choose to be either black or white. Not really the expert on this topic, weâ€™d say.
3) E.L. Doctorowâ€™s latest novel, â€œThe Marchâ€ explores slavery circa 1864. One of the main characters is Pearl Jameson, a pale-skinned slave girl whose father is her owner and whose white half-brothers, the two sons of the plantation, lust like animals for their biracial half-sister. Thatâ€™s right, itâ€™s yet another tragic mulatto story. Just what we need.
4) Derek Jeter is the latest victim of the unknown person whoâ€™s been sending hate mail to prominent black men linked to white women. The letter calls him a traitor to his race for dating white women. The FBI investigation is apparently continuing, though we never seem to hear of any progress.
Mixed people are often mistaken as other ethnicities due to their ambiguous looks. Sometimes, they hear racist statements they wouldnâ€™t have, had their true identity been known. Listen in as Racial Spy #40677 reports from her neighborhood Chinese restaurant where she ate dinner with her father, Agent 90944.
INTERRACIAL COUPLES IN THE MEDIA
People are still scared to death of miscegenation. That much is clear when you look at how interracial couples are portrayed in the media. We take a look at how the media conveys these cautionary messages in both obvious and subtle ways. Click here to read Carmen’s article on the subject.
Hereâ€™s a look at the next episode:
1) Our first joint rant about the worst â€œracialâ€ compliments weâ€™ve received
2) Mixed Media Watch news round-up
3) An interview with Adam Mansbach, author of Angry Black White Boy.
Duration – 43:07
File Size – 40 MB
Listen to an MP3 of Addicted to Race Episode 6