Mixed people who fetishize themselves is the subject of Jen’s rant today. You know the type–they completely buy into hybrid vigor and actually believe that mixed people are prettier/smarter/healthier than non-mixed people. Are you one of them? Test yourself with Jen and Carmen’s “Top 10 List of Signs That You’ve Come Down With the Self-Fetishizing Bug.”
ASK NEW DEMOGRAPHIC:
Jen and Carmen tackle a question from their monthly Ask New Demographic advice column. A college counselor asks her mixed student, “What are you?” and gets a chilly response. She wants to know why some mixed people find this question offensive.
MIXED MEDIA WATCH NEWS UPDATE
Carmen shares the latest and greatest from Mixed Media Watch:
1) What role does race play in the Harry Potter book series? Carmen and Jen discuss two articles, one that explores how the “half-blood” terminology relates to racial hierarchy, and another that examines how Asians fare in the books.
2) Debra Dickerson’s latest article for Salon.com examines how black women have been masculinized in this country. Jen and Carmen discuss how race gets “gendered” so that both black men and women are seen as “male,” while both Asian men and women are seen as “female.” They also discuss the impact this has on dating and marriage trends, as shown by Census statistics.
3) A black teenager named Anthony Walker is bludgeoned to death in Liverpool, for doing nothing more than sitting on a bench with his white girlfriend. This horrible hate crime demonstrates that despite the rise in interracial marriages in the U.K., interracial couples still face discrimination and harassment.
TALKING TO MIXED KIDS
Jen discusses her recent article titled, Whether Or Not There Are “Issues,” Parents Need to Talk With Their Mixed Heritage Kids. Parents need to be proactive in talking to their mixed children about race and identity, instead of just waiting for problems to come up. Just because kids aren’t saying anything, doesn’t mean they’re not encountering issues surrounding race that they don’t know how to deal with.
Here’s a look at the next episode:
1) A rant about people who take DNA tests to figure out their “racial heritage”
2) Mixed Media Watch news roundup
3) A discussion on the fact that civil rights organizations ignore discrimination against interracial couples
4) An interview with Jamie Tibbetts, founder of Like Minded People, an independently run shirt company that offers conscious messages and imagery
Monday, August 8, 2005
My Odeo Channel (odeo/3f46167e898cd205)